Optional Resident Retention
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program / HCV
Optional Resident Retention Services for Landlords
At the request of many landlords, RHA is offering three optional services to landlords to help maximize the benefits of being a landlord under the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
The three optional services offered by RHA include:
1. Optional Punch List Service
A landlord may request a punch list service appointment for his rental unit prepared by an inspector who is an expert on HQS. This provides the landlord with repair items that need to be addressed prior to the first scheduled inspection and leasing of the unit to a voucher holder. Although this punch list is not a guarantee that the unit will pass the official inspection, there are several benefits to this service:
- Provides the landlord with a list of repair items.
- Provides the landlord with the ability to project the cost of unit preparation and order any materials needed.
- Significantly increases the chances, but does not guarantee, the unit will pass on the first inspection and potentially be eligible for a rental increase.
- It helps with marketing the unit as only landlords with first-pass units are added to the list of landlords provided to applicants seeking housing.
- Reduces breaks in rental payments.
- Assists the landlord in identifying damages beyond normal wear and tear which may have been caused by the tenant.
- When properly used by the landlord it greatly reduces the chance of a failed first or second inspection and possible loss of payment and of the tenant.
2. Optional Third Inspection
RHA no longer does third inspections under the HAP Program. For units that have failed two inspections, RHA will require the tenant to find another unit. However, the landlord may request a third inspection at their expense. In cases of re-inspection, the regulations require a 30-day period between inspections. The benefits of an optional third inspection are:
- The tenant is not forced to find another unit or cause an existing participant to vacate the unit.
- Rather than lose an interested tenant, the landlord can get a third inspection without waiting the 30-day period.
3. Optional Additional Inspection
Should the unit not pass the Optional Third Inspection the Landlord may request additional inspections at their expense. Please be aware (see #2) that the regulations require a 30-day period between inspections. When requesting this optional service please select “Additional Inspection” from the drop down below.
Participation in any of these optional services does not guarantee that a unit will pass the HQS inspection at the time it is done. However, it provides the landlord with more information and options regarding HQS inspections. This promotes informed decision-making in the Voucher program. All optional services require a non-refundable fee paid in advance to RHA.
To request an optional service, make your selection from the drop down below. Please provide the following information in the “Landlord & Tenant Information” box: Landlord Name, Landlord Phone Number, Tenant Name, and Unit Address. You will be re-directed to PayPal to pay for the requested service. RHA will contact you with a scheduled date for the service requested upon receipt of notification of your payment. As a reminder, these are optional services provided as a courtesy by RHA and no Landlord is obligated to use them.
A PayPal account is not required to make a debit/credit card payment. Please note that after your payment is made, you will receive a payment confirmation page. We advise you to print this page for your records. If your payment is not accepted, you will receive notification via email. Please ensure that you use a valid email address and check it periodically.